This week’s Artist of the Week is the true definition of “Beyond The Stage.” Producing, writing and performing makes Jeremy Shayne a triple threat. We spoke to Shayne about how he got his start in music, whether he likes flying or driving better and who he jams to when no one is watching.
Read our Q&A below!
- Describe your sound for someone who hasn’t heard it before.
The best way to describe my music would be pop meets cinematic, with orchestral strings and pop synths.
- How did you get your start in music?
Ever since I was a kid I always loved to sing. Throughout my childhood my passion for it grew tremendously. At the age 18, I started producing because beats I found online were never good enough! haha
- What were your musical inspirations growing up, versus how have they changed?
When I was about 11 years old I was all about Jesse McCartney. Then around 14 it had to be Justin Bieber. When I turned 17 I came across Jon Bellion, and he’s a big reason why I started producing and really focusing on the craft of the music.
- You recently released your single, “Care,” what was the inspiration for that sound?
Initially, I wrote it about a girl that would always get her heart broken by guys that never cared for her, and that she would push away the ones that were always there for her. In a way it’s about karma.
- You write, play instruments, produce and sing, can you talk a little bit about your process?
It honestly starts with a melody in my head. I feel like if I dive into a project without a full understanding of lyrics and music direction I lose interest. So my process would honestly be, having a melody to start, and then lyrically the hook. and then the rest falls into place.
- What’s something people might not know about you?
When I was younger I wanted to be an airline pilot. Loved the feel of airports and planes.
- You’ve gotten some traction from various publications about “Care,” how does that feel?
It’s such an honor to have an audience to listen to my creations. I hope that I can send powerful messages with each song to really connect with each individual. It’s honestly so humbling that people are giving my music a chance, it’s great.
- What’s next for you in 2017?
I’m excited for this year to come. I’m going to have a lot of content and music coming within these next couple months. The goal is to do some live shows by the end of the year!
- What’s your dream venue?
Has to be MSG. All the legends performed there. The venue is beautiful. New York is beautiful.
- If you could plan your dream tour, who would be on it and why?
Jon Bellion. The respect I have for Jon is through the roof. I care about music a lot. He hones his craft, it would be a great honor to share the stage with him.
- Coffee or tea?
I don’t drink coffee, I’m not crazy about tea but Brisk Mango has my heart.
- Planned or spontaneous?
- Ocean or pool?
- Flying or driving?
- One Direction or Justin Bieber?
Jam to both but would have to say Jbiebs