Happy Monday! We recently talked to Pittsburgh based band Eternal Boy about their new music, Warped Tour and more!
- Introduce yourselves and your role in the band!
I am Rishi, and I sing and play guitar. Andy plays drums, and Joe plays bass and sings.
- Describe your sound for someone who might not have heard it before.
We are self-proclaimed “throwback pop punk.” That is, the kind of pop punk that helped jumpstart the genre in the early 2000’s with bands like New Found Glory, The Starting Line, and old Blink. Think if Taylor Swift had child with Fat Mike. How about that for a mental picture?
- You recently premiered your track, “Growing Pains,” on Alt Press, what was that process like? How did that feel?
We finished recording this album months ago and have been sitting on it. That period of time has been torture because you just want to know what people think about it, and if the songs you have poured all your energy into resonate well with your audience. I think that Growing Pains is a great first track because it personifies Eternal Boy of the past and Eternal Boy of the future. It felt incredible to have AltPress feature it and get it out to the world. The first song release is always the most exciting.
- You’re about to release your debut album later this summer, what were your musical influences for that album?
I think that our throwback pop punk sentiment conjures the spirits of old Blink 182, New Found Glory, The Starting Line, The Ataris, and most bands on Drive Thru Records. You will also hear melodies that are influenced from 90’s alternative as well. Great time for music then.
- What was the recording process like for recording Awkward Phase?
Recording is the time in which you discover how bad of a musician you really are…well for us at least. It is tough but the most rewarding part. We did our album with an amazing producer named Chris Badami. He has done some of our favorite albums of all time and he knows how to dial in a great sounding rock album.
- How did you find the title for the album?
We released a song called Awkward Phase months ago to tide over people until we got the album out. We came up with this awesome album cover (take a look on our website) that really encapsulated our youth and growing up. However, I realized that we were supposed to grow out of these items, but we haven’t. Awkward Phase refers to the fact that we never grow out of certain things, so we are perpetually in this “phase” that the world tells us to move on from.
- What were your non musical influences?
Hmm, good question: rescue dogs, Lord of the Rings, Pittsburgh Sports, Keisha Grey, night drives, and Taylor Swift (we know that’s musical but she is perfect)
- What’s something our readers might not know about you?
Rishi has a PhD in marketing. He also runs a music festival called The Four Chord Music Festival, and a label he just launched called Four Chord Music. Joe our bass player owns his own business for music lessons and tutoring, and Andy (drummer) does the BEST impersonations ever. He also has the manliest beard of all time.
- You’re based out of Pittsburgh, what’s your favorite thing to do in the city?
So many amazing things about this city, seriously. Here are a few: the view from Mt. Washington over the city, Primanti Brothers sandwiches, the people, sports teams, and the culture (Andy Warhol museum in particular).
- You’re about to go out on a few dates of Warped Tour, what are you most excited for?
I am excited to discover new bands that I might have never checked out otherwise. I am also excited for The Ataris, Knocked Loose, and Save Ferris.
- How can our readers find you on social media?
We are everywhere, just search “sexy dudes…” jk. EternalBoyMusic.com
- What’s next for you in 2017?
New album. New Album. New Album. July 14th!!!
This or That:
- Coffee or tea? – Decaf Tea
- Bus or plane? –BUS. Hate flying.
- Ice cream or doughnuts? Ice cream filled doughnuts
- Genre you wish you played? Punk Metal
- Song you wish your wrote? What’s My Age Again – Blink 182