This week’s Artist of the Week comes with a blessing from Billboard, Nylon, Huffington Post and more. Endorsed by Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA, FAULKNER is here to share more about who they are, what influences them and more!
Press photo is courtesy of JV Agency
Band members in the photo from left to right: Dimitri Farougias, Eric Scullin, Christian Hogan and Lucas Asher
- Can you introduce yourselves to our readers?
Hey! My name is Christian and I play drums in the band FAULKNER. Great to be talking with Beyond The Stage Magazine!
- Why did you pick the band name FAULKNER?
Well that depends on who you ask….let’s just say the name was given to us…..
- Who are your musical influences?
We are heavily influenced by The Clash, David Bowie, Dr. Dre among many others
- What are some of your non-musical influences?
I could say we are influenced by coffee in the morning ….and wine at night
- You’ve worked with RZA, what was that like for you?
It was an honor to work with RZA. He took us to Rick Rubin’s Shangri- La Studio in Malibu, an unforgettable experience! We all grew up listening to Wu-Tang Clan, so it was an honor for us to collaborate with such a creative genius. Some of the most memorable parts of the session were when we would have dinner together at the house and listen to RZA tell us all these crazy Wu-Tang stories.
- Your song “NY Anthem” (featuring RZA) is the official song for the 2017 US Open. Did you write the song specifically for the US Open, and if so what was the process like?
The song was written as a tribute to our favorite city and the place we call our second home. We are just fortunate to have had it picked for major sporting events in NY, such as the US Open.
- What is your songwriting process like?
For the most part, Lucas usually comes to us with a new song idea that he comes up with on an acoustic guitar. After that we get together in a room as a band and work out the arrangements and the overall vibe of the song.
- What is something you hope to achieve by the end of the year?
We haven’t had a chance to go on tour in Europe yet so I think that’s one of the next things on our list.
- What is something our readers should know about yourselves (or the band as a whole)?
We love interacting with our fans before and after shows….or any time for that matter. Feel free to reach out to us on social media @FAULKNERmusic. We love writing back to fans.
- If you could collaborate with anyone, who would you like to collaborate with and why?
The last few years we’ve been losing many of our idols so the list of current collaborators is dwindling. I would have to say Dr. Dre and Kanye for a few songs….then for a few more songs I’d love to collaborate with Iggy Pop and Jay Z.
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee!
- Ice Cream or Donuts? I’d say donuts go better with my coffee
- Current Song You’re Obsessed With? Anderson Paak – Put Me Thru
- Favorite T.V. show? Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Ocean or Pool? Ocean!