Get to know singer-songwriter Olivia Thai. She shares her influences, her dream collaboration and more. Read it below:
1. Can you introduce yourself to those who may not know you?
Hihi! I’m Olivia Thai (but I’m not Thai… long story). I’m a soul r&b pop songwriter who happens to sing and play instruments.
2. How would you describe your music to people who have never heard it before?
If Adele and Amy Winehouse had a baby, it would be me.
3. What are you looking forward to most for the rest of 2018?
I am so excited to finally release music from my debut album. Some of my fans have been waiting for this album since 2004. I feel like I’ve been working on this album my whole life.
4. Who are your musical influences?
Of course, Adele and Amy Winehouse. A few others as well – Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Allen Stone, and I grew up listening to west coast rap.
5. What about nonmusical influences?
Not in any particular order – Steve Jobs, Simon Sinek, Malcolm Gladwell, and Elon Musk.
6. If you could collaborate with any musician, who would it be and why?
I just performed as the opening act for Boyz II Men last week, and I’ve always always wanted to collaborate with them because I grew up listening to their music – still haven’t, but I feel like I’m one step closer now!
7. What do you hope fans get from your music?
I hope that it reminds them that they are not alone. We’re all going through it, but it’s harder when you feel like you’re going through it alone.
8. Tell us a little bit about your song “Down to Earth Cool Chick”
Down to Earth Cool Chick is about well… being a down to earth cool chick. I was always and still generally feel like an outcast because I never cared for material things. We live in a world where people save up to buy expensive shoes. I just don’t want to, never have, and never will live my life that way… so I wrote a song about it.
9. What is something that you’ve accomplished so far in your career that you are most proud of?
I am grateful for every new person that I’m able to reach with my music. Every fan I can connect with is an accomplishment to me.
10. What is a song you wish you wrote and why?
I wish that I wrote “Stronger Than Me” by Amy Winehouse. It’s funny. It’s relatable. I connect with it. It’s seriously a song I wish I wrote.
11. What is your go-to drink from a coffee shop?
I’m a tea person. I usually order a honey jasmine milk tea – hot or cold depending on the weather.
12. What is your current favorite song?
So hard to choose! I’ve been listening to a lot of Top 40 music recently. I have no particular favorite though.
13. What was the first concert you went to?
A Cantonese pop artist in the 90s named Sammi Cheung. I only listened to Chinese pop when I was young.
14. What is your favorite movie?
15. If you could create your dream tour, who would be on the lineup?
Me, Amy Winehouse, Sam Smith, Adele, and Ed Sheeran.