Get to know Artist of the Week Ryan Hamilton and The Harlequin Ghosts. Frontman Ryan Hamilton shares their influences, plans for 2019 and more. Read here:
- Can you introduce yourself to those who may not know you?
Hi. My name is Ryan Hamilton. I’m a Texan fronting a British band.
- How would you describe your music to people who have never heard it before?
This question gets asked a lot, and I never know how to answer it. People like to say things like, “They’re a throwback with a current sound”. Which doesn’t really make any sense. Haha. I guess we’re a rock n roll band with Pop tendencies. I’ll say this: I think a lot of artists try WAY too hard to be something new and/or different. A lot of what’s new and different is shit.
- What are you looking forward to in 2019?
Releasing our new full-length album with Wicked Cool Records, and going on tour… A LOT.
- Who are your musical influences?
Tom Petty, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones
- What about nonmusical influences?
Good question! I wish people asked THIS more. Ok… I’d have to say: Andy Warhol, Daniel Johnston (his music too), Mick Rock and Stan Lee.
- What do you hope fans get from your music?
I hope it makes them smile. I hope it makes them feel good. I hope it becomes a part of their favorite memories… and I hope they grab onto it and hold on forever.
- What can you tell us about your song “Bottoms Up (Here’s To Goodbye)”
It’s a song about a person leaving an alcoholic relationship… with their middle finger held HIGH.
- What is your writing and recording process like?
Writing comes in waves. A song will just appear. Usually a melody and a lyric. I have to reach out and grab it before it’s gone. Which is really tricky when you’re driving. Haha. I have to pull the car over sometimes to record something on my phone, before I forget. Then, I record simple demos at my studio here at home. I don’t like to “finish” the demos. Just get the basic idea down, then let them grow into something bigger & better in the “real” studio. With my favorite producer, Dave Draper.
- What is something that you’ve accomplished so far in your career that you are most proud of?
Saying FUCK YOU to the greedy managers, record labels, and my former soul-sucking musical world, starting over on my own… and finding success on my own terms.
- What is your go-to drink from a coffee shop?
Almond Milk Latte… and I want one RIGHT NOW. Haha.
- What is your current favorite song?
Southern Accents (Live from Gatorville) – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- What was the first concert you went to?
The Toadies. Fort Worth, TX. Used a fake ID to get in 🙂
- What is your favorite movie?
That’s tough! … but I’m gonna have to say Forrest Gump.
- If you could create your dream tour, who would be on the lineup?
The Beatles, Tom Petty, The Black Crowes, Oasis, The Rolling Stones and David Bowie
- What is a song you wish you wrote and why?
That is a LONG list! … but some of Bob Dylan’s early stuff will forever give me goosebumps, and result in song envy. “Tangled Up in Blue,” “One More Cup of Coffee,” “Visions of Johanna,” “It’s All Over Now Baby Blue”… sheesh, I could go on forever. But I think he’s the greatest songwriter of all time.