Get to know our Artist of the Week, grandson. Learn more about his influences, his new EP and his go-to drink from a coffee shop. Check it out below:
1. Can you introduce yourself to those who may not know you?
I’m grandson! I’m a pissed off optimist, disenfranchised poet, cathartic word vomiter proud progressive agenda promoting genre bending upstart grandkid.
2. How would you describe your music to people who have never heard it
It’s like if a computer had a threesome with an electric guitar and a monster truck
3. What are you looking forward to most for the rest of 2018?
More shows, more music, more giving back, getting more young people to vote, sweet t shirts.
4. Who are your musical influences?
Bill Withers, Eminem, Ray Charles, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, RHCP, Skrillex, J Cole, Diplo
5. What about nonmusical influences?
Bernie Sanders, George Carlin, my parents, my sisters, the grandkids, activists at the frontlines fighting the battle of good vs evil across this country protecting the rights of people and planet.
6. If you could collaborate with any musician, who would it be and why?
J Cole is a punk rock musician he just might not know it yet
7. What do you hope fans get from your music?
A little bit of release, some sense of catharsis or understanding, feeling a little less alone and a little more understood, maybe even a sliver of hope for what is to come.
8. Tell us a little bit about your new EP, “a modern tragedy vol. 1”
It’s more or less a state of the union, a broad painting of the current environment we find ourselves in and the various vices and methods of escape we use to avoid confronting that fucked up reality.
9. What is something that you’ve accomplished so far in your career that
you are most proud of?
Collaborating with the legend that is Mike Shinoda was definitely a highlight. I’m most proud of the stories shared by grandkids around the world, stories of overcoming loss, addiction, apathy. Meeting community organizers who use my music when they feel like giving up. I met an English teacher who survived a school shooting and used my song thoughts and prayers to recover emotionally. Those sorts of small anecdotes give me a sense of purpose.
10. What are you looking forward to for the rest of 2018?
I can’t wait to tour with my dudes joywave and nothing but thieves, flesh out some more visuals for the EP, wrap up some new unreleased music. The best is yet to come.
11. What is your go-to drink from a coffee shop?
Super LA hipster shit. Either an oat milk mocha or an almond milk latte with vanilla. Please send me a dm on instagram @grandsonsucks and let me know what a loser I am.
12. What is your current favorite song?
Warned You by Good Morning.
13. What was the first concert you went to?
Umphrey’s McGee at the Toronto opera house
14. What is your favorite movie?
There Will Be Blood. Royal Tannenbaums. Pulp Fiction.
15. If you could create your dream tour, who would be on the lineup?
1969 Jimi, 1998 Rage, 2000 Eminem, 2020 me
Check out grandson’s new EP on Spotify below: