Our Artist of the Week is singer-songwriter Tom Walker. Get to know him in our Q&A below!
- Can you introduce yourself to those who may not know you?
Hello, I’m Tom Walker, I suppose I’m a singer song writer from the UK, I write tunes then put them out and hopefully people like them.
- How would you describe your music to people who have never heard it before?
That’s always a hard one and probably the question I get asked most. It’s definitely not acoustic – put it that way. It’s mainly guitar-based with electronic beats, a little hip hop influence with a splash of reggae.
- What are you looking forward to most in 2018?
We’re nearly half way through the year already, it’s mental! I’ve just announced more tour dates in the UK and EU but I’m actually going to be heading out to the US in August to do my own headline tour, which is going to be crazy, I never thought I’d get the chance to do that!
- Who are your musical influences?
It’s a bit of everything, I know that’s a well obvious answer but I grew up listening to music with my dad. Everything from The Police to DeadMau5 to AC/DC and it all creeps a little here and there but it’s not like I write something to sound like something else it just kind of happens.
- What about nonmusical influences?
My friends and family 100%. My life has been shaped by them so much and without them I wouldn’t be here writing music today.
- If you could collaborate with any musician, who would it be and why?
Paolo Nuttini. Cause he’s mint.
- What do you hope fans get from your music?
I just hope they like it.
- Tell us a little bit about your new song, “Leave a Light On”
I wrote that a couple of years back about a friend of mine going through a tough time. It’s been so successful across Europe it’s amazing.
- What is something that you’ve accomplished so far in your career that you are most proud of
Playing my sold-out show at Koko in London to 1500 people was just a real moment. To see all the people there just for me was sick but also really strange to get my head around.
- What is a song you wish you wrote and why?
AD/DC – Back in Black. It’s just an absolute banger. Everyone knows that song as soon as you hear the first chord. It’s Iconic.
- Coffee or Tea?
- Current obsession song?
Tom Misch – The Journey
- Favorite TV Show?
It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
- Ocean or Pool?
- Favorite movie?