Get to know our Artist of the Week, Caitlyn Smith, in her exclusive Q&A with us below:
1. Can you introduce yourself to those who may not know you?
Hello! My name is Caitlyn and I’m a singer/songwriter from Minneapolis, MN. I’ve written songs for a good number of artists (Meghan Trainor/John Legend/James Bay/Dolly Parton/Garth Brooks) but am finally releasing my own record, Starfire on Jan 19th.
2. How would you describe your music to people who have never heard it
Honest, Raw, Soulful and Dramatic… a genre-less sound with heartfelt vocals and songwriting
3. What are you looking forward to most in 2018?
Releasing my record, Starfire
Playing Jimmy Fallon
Touring this record, Making and meeting new fans
4. Who are your musical influences?
Everyone from The Beatles to Wilco to Patty Griffin, Ray Lamontagne to Carole King to Paul Simon
5. What about nonmusical influences?
My sweet husband and baby boy, God, my friends and family, watching movies, living life, Mother Nature
6. If you could collaborate with any musician, who would it be and why?
I think it would be magical to sing with Patty Griffin and write with Paul Simon.
7. What do you hope fans get from your music?
My hope is that they have a connection to the songs… and it makes them FEEL something – happy, sad, hopeful, nostalgic and everything in between…
8. Tell us a little bit about your new album?
Starfire is the story of my long and winding road. I spent a decade writing songs in Nashville for other people, and was ready to start telling/singing my own story.
This record has a very broad range of songs and doesn’t necessarily fit into a genre… which I love. The production is raw and dramatic, but stays out of the way of the vocal and the storytelling.
9. What was the process like while creating your album?
The songs were written over a span of a few years and we cut the record at two separate times – the first batch of songs released as an EP, and the second half (recorded almost a year later) completed the album. Everything was cut to tape and recorded with a live band – which lent itself to the raw, organic sound. I was pregnant during most of the recording process, which was pretty special.
10. What is something that you’ve accomplished so far in your career
that you are most proud of?
I’m proud that I took the leap to make this record. I did it for myself. I didn’t think about radio or genre or anything except making music that I love.
1. Coffee or Tea?
Coffee AM, Tea the rest of the day…
2. Current obsession song?
Kiss by Prince
3. Favorite TV Show
Game of Thrones
4. Ocean or Pool?
5. Favorite movie