This week, we’re introducing you to Hailey Knox, an incredible singer-songwriter. She’s headed out with Charlie Puth this fall, opening for his US tour. We chatted with Hailey about her debut EP, favorite boyband and more. Read below for all of Hailey’s answers.
- Introduce yourself to our readers.
I’m Hailey Knox : singer, songwriter, and chicken lover.
- You recently released your debut EP, what was that process like?
Creating “A Little Awkward’ has been such an interesting and exciting process. I would travel into NYC and write with “The Dreaded Us” (Mike Mangini, Peter Zizzo and Imani Coppola). We wrote a bunch of songs and finally narrowed it down to the five songs which ended up on the EP.
- What musically and non-musically influenced your sound?
When it comes to my looping, Ed Sheeran has been a huge inspiration. He’s insanely talented and can loop like crazy! Other artists who have inspired me and my sound are Justin Bieber, Allen Stone, Ingrid Michaelson and Jon Bellion. I love Allen Stone’s soulful voice and Justin Bieber’s amazing tone. All of the artists I listen to have definitely influenced sound which is a mix of soulful singer-songwriter and pop.
- Music or lyrics first? What’s your writing process?
Most of the time I begin by playing a chord progression on guitar and singing random melodies. So I guess music comes before lyrics. I typically record voice memos so I don’t forget when I think I’ve come up with something good!
- Who’s an artist or band that you can’t stop listening to?
Frank Ocean’s new album has been on repeat non-stop – every song is so unique.
- You built your following on YouTube and YouNow, what’s something people need to know about you?
People need to know that I’ve been playing guitar since I was 7 years old and I love chicken.
- How do you choose the songs you cover?
Most of the time I will cover songs that I love personally and other times I will cover songs that my Hailiens request.
- Favorite cover you’ve ever done?
“Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers
- Who would you love to collaborate with in 2016?
I’d love to collaborate with Jon Bellion, Ed Sheeran or Allen Stone.
- What’s next for you in 2016 and 2017?
This fall I’ll be on Charlie Puth’s “We Don’t Talk Anymore” tour and then working on my debut LP.
- Favorite Netflix show to watch receptively?
“Stranger Things” is amazing. My sister and I binge watched it in 2 days. The cast is incredibly and I’ve been a fan of Winona Ryder ever since i saw “Beatlejuice”.
- Starbucks drink of choice?
I love iced vanilla chai’s and cool lime refreshers.
- Song you love but are ashamed to admit?
Ain’t no shame in my game.
- Favorite songwriter?
I’m loving Jon Bellion’s entire album right now – his lyrics are amazing. Allen Stone is another incredible lyricist.
- Favorite boyband?
I love The Beatles.