This week we had the pleasure of speaking with Ben Fletcher from alternative music duo Aquilo. Originally from Silverdale, Lancashire, England, this duo is definitely on the rise. They began writing music together in 2013, and their emotional electronic pop songs are perfect for fans of James Blake and Bon Iver. Last week they made their debut TV performance on Late Night with Seth Meyers, where they effortlessly performed their new hit “Silhouette”. Check out our interview below:
1. What was it like making your debut TV performance?
“It was a little daunting at first but when all the lights went down it just felt like we were playing to ourselves.”
2. How’d you come up with the name “Aquilo”?
“Tom’s mum came up with it actually. We had some terrible name ideas when we’d first started and this was by far the best suggestion so it sort of just stuck.”
3. Can you describe your sound for someone who might not have heard it before?
“Sort of dreamy?”
4. How did you guys meet?
“We both grew up on the same road together in a lovely village called Silverdale in the north of England. We were in separate bands growing up but when Tom had finished university and I was at school we’d decided to write a song or two together.”
5. If you could collaborate with one other artist or band, who would it be?
“Our answer to this question will always change but right now, we’d love to do something with Beach House. We’ve had Depression Cherry on repeat now for the past month.”
6. Do you have a favorite song off your album “Silhouettes”?
“We both have songs that mean more to one of us than the other. For me I’d say Almost Over is my favorite because it takes me back to a certain time of making the album. Tom’s favorite is You Wont Know Where You Stand.”
7. Can we expect any new music or shows any time soon?
“Yeah! We’ve just announced our UK tour in September. We have more dates for the US coming too. We’re always working on new music, we’re going to play the releases by ear though. If we fancy letting something go, we will.”
Listen to their newly released album “Silhouettes” here:
- Eminem Releases Surprise Album, ‘Kamikaze’ - August 31, 2018
- Hayley Kiyoko announces first-ever UK and European tour - July 31, 2018
- Imagine Dragons bring the thunder with new single, “Natural” - July 17, 2018