Meet Beyond the Stage’s newest Artist of the Week: The Greeting Committee. Get to know the Kansas City-based band with our interview with frontwoman Addie Sartino.
- Can you introduce yourself to those who may not know you?
Hi, I’m Addie Sartino. I’m the lead singer of an alternative band called The Greeting Committee.
- How would you describe your music to people who have never heard it before?
I would describe our music as indie rock with influence from jazz, blues, and hip hop.
- What are you looking forward to most for the rest of 2018?
I’m extremely excited to see the way our debut record influences others and ourselves as we finish off the year.
- Who are your musical influences?
As a band, we love Bombay Bicycle Club, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, St. Vincent… And many more. Individually, we have a wide range of musical influences.
- What about nonmusical influences?
Right now, I feel particularly influenced by Dr. Ford and all other survivors fighting to create a better and safer world.
- What do you hope fans get from your music?
I hope fans listen to our music and hear themselves. I hope fans listen to our music and feel less alone.
- What can you tell us about your debut album, This Is It?
“This Is It” is our first record, which means we’ve essentially had our whole lives to create it. To me, “This Is It” seems like a pretty, packaged way to tie up my own coming of age stories.
- What is your writing and recording process like?
Typically, one person will bring in the initial idea of a song, and then as a group we will dissect it and change it into something almost entirely different.
- What is something that you’ve accomplished so far in your career that you are most proud of?
It’s very surreal when people ask me to write out tattoos for them. To have written something that resonates with someone so much that they want it permanently on their skin is beautiful. Moments like those are probably my proudest.
- What is your go to drink from a coffee shop?
Iced chai always.
- What is your current favorite song?
“Why Even Try” by Hippo Campus. I’m humming it now.
- What was the first concert you went to?
Jessica Simpson… I was a way bigger Ashley fan.
- What is your favorite movie?
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind OR (500) Days of Summer. Both make me cry.
- If you could create your dream tour, who would be on the lineup?
I would kill to play a show with The Killers.
Check out The Greeting Committee’s debut album, This is It, on Spotify: