Hello everyone! I’d like to take this time to introduce you to a new segment myself and Cyndi will be writing, appropriately called “C&J’s Weekly Plays”. We are going to be writing every week about a band that we think everyone should know about; information about the band, songs you should check out, their info, and anything else we feel we should share with you! We hope this will help our readers discover artists they wouldn’t have otherwise.
This week’s band: Walk The Moon.
Walk The Moon is an indie rock band based out of Cincinati, Ohio. The band is made up of 4 incredible musicians:
- Nicholas Petricca: lead vocals, keys, synthesizer, bass drum
- Kevin Ray: bass, vocals
- Sean Waugaman: drums, vocals
- Eli Maiman: guitar, vocals
I first heard of WTM when a friend of mine posted an acoustic cover on twitter (here is the cover), and it initially got me intrigued. Now, when I first saw this video I noticed that the description was in French and it was a little disappointing because I had assumed this was a French band and I wouldn’t be able to understand anything they were saying (the reasons why I thought this still confuse me, because clearly in the video they are singing in English…). Either way, I looked them up and was happily surprised to see that they are, indeed, American. Crisis adverted.
Once I had established the fact that they were American, I went on to listen to every…single…song. I can’t be the only one who does this… I started off with “Anna Sun” because it was the same song the band was singing acoustically in the video that had sparked my interest. I was really excited because the lead singer, Nicholas, sounds the same recorded as he does live, which with the technology nowadays is hard to find. The song itself just has a feel good vibe. I’ve listened to it so often that it’s gotten to the point where my mom sings along word for word. But who can blame her, right?
From there on, I found myself buying their self titled album on iTunes and refusing to listen to anything but that for almost 2 weeks straight. I still always keep one or two songs on my current playlists.
Songs you need to check out (other than “Anna Sun”):
- “Tightrope” – this song is so different than “Anna Sun”, but similar in the fact that it just really makes you want to dance and sing along. I will admit, when I first heard this song I was confused and unsure how I felt about it. But after listening to it a couple different times I came to love it.
- “Jenny” – I think this song tops my list of favorite WTM songs, and is definitely up there on my list of all time favorite songs because it’s just that good.
- “Iscariot” – explores the more gentle side of the band. I really love this song, mostly because I can hear the emotion in Nicholas’ voice when he sings. And the harmonies, those are great too.
In the span of only a few months, Walk The Moon has become one of my favorite bands. There isn’t a song I don’t enjoy. Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to see them live, but I’m hoping that changes relatively soon. Either way, I feel it’s my duty as a dedicated fan to tell you all about them. I hope you check them out and come to love them as much as I do!
The bands links: